Thursday, July 13, 2006

My quest for youth

It happened again... I got sucked into another person's blog. A complete stranger. This time it was written from a "baby boomer" who was re-entering the dating scene. Too bad she's too old for the guy who is writing his blog about how his future wife is going to fall out of the sky (or something) since he is purposefully not meeting people. (See previous blog if you are confused)

So earlier this year I decided I had to do something to keep my youth. Call it a mini-midlife crisis if you will. Some might dye their hair, go back to school, get contacts or shave off their mustache. Wait that was my Dad's midlife crisis, back in Sept of 1989.

So I decided I needed to MSN. My students have been talking about it for years. The thing is I was curious about it and completely at a loss as to how to do it. This is where the keeping my youth comes in. I had this great uncle who started golfing in his mid-seventies. He was using email when he turned 80. He was young because he embraced life and continued to learn new things. MSN was not going to intimidate me because I am young! So I asked my brother. He helped me set it up and I was off to the races. I emailed all my friends "Hey guess what I'm on MSN now..."

One of my nearest and dearest friends told me flat out "No, I am not MSNing." She calls the computer the other women since her husband works on it so much. I let her off the hook.

One of my other nearest and dearest friends did MSN. We tried it out one night. After we had exhausted all of the fancy buttons... you know the ones that shake the screen or blow up, she phoned me; said it was too slow typing and easier to talk.

I spent a week checking continuously to see who was on line... waiting for them to initiate a conversation. I could see they were on line. Why weren't they writing me? Finally I decided to make first contact and I got a response... It was my brother who lives with us. He walked into our office and told me "MSNing someone who is within shouting distance is pathetic" There you have it my quest for youth... pathetic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the question is what defines youth? Is it using the new fangled technology? Or is it the joy of a little one who wants to help her mommy with a toilet brush? (I'll admit I didn't find too much joy in the plunger I worriedly used at work today... but I bet she would.)

Often I think youth is more about freedom and possiblity. And at this point it raises questions for me about where true freedom is and whether constrained possibility is more freeing than directionless ramblings. I leave you free to mull that on over.

DDW

Unknown said...

I'll chat with you on MSN!! Email me your screenname and I'll email you mine. LOL