Monday, July 06, 2009

It was an Adventure

Last summer my MIL called us to tell us about this wonderful campground she found just outside Hanna, AB. She had been driving by and stopped to take a look. It sounded great. Large stalls and a great beach with a playground. She brought up the campground again in November with the hopes we would be able to join her there on July 1st. It came up a number of times throughout the year. Finally, when the campground registration opened up we were willing to commit.



However, my MIL was having a terrible time getting through to the campground to make the reservation. A distant relative who lived in the area recommended a different campground which was just down the road, that was a lot better. The reservations were made without any troubles and Aunts and Uncles were invited to join us. It was going to be a great weekend of camping, and family and even a friend or two.



For two days I packed. I packed the usual camping stuff but for 4 people it takes time to get all the sleeping bags, mattresses, camp stoves, food etc together. Not to mention the clothes. I pack for all weather. If you have ever been camping and it snows or your kids get so cold that they just cry, then you know... pack for everything. I remembered the mitts this time, so we wouldn't have to use socks on the kids cold hands every morning.



We left after Karl got home from work. He figured that it would be a 3.5 hour drive and of course we are going through dinosaur country which is a hugh part of our 4 year olds daily discussion right now. I realize that visiting the Tyrell museum was a bit unrealistic but boy do I like to please my kids when it's as easy as making time to look at dinosaur bones. Alas it was not to be. She asked if we could go today. And she will probably continue to ask at least twice a week for ... forever.



Back to the road trip. We just drive through Drumheller when Tesla says "I have to go to the bathroom." Her timing is always 5 minutes out the other side of town. And we both say in stereo "Why didn't you say you had to go when we asked?" We are just gearing up into "Well you're just going to have to go on the side of the road," when I spot the sign for a rest stop. What a lovely surprise. Right beside the parking lot is the HooDoo's and you can climb on them and around them. And I say to Karl. "Let's take a minute and go look" And he says "We still have an hour's drive and it's already 8pm. I'd really like to get the tent up before dark." Here is the picture I took from the parking lot.


My Mom has been to the Grand Canyon twice. Once with her parents and once as a parent, yet both experiences are the same. We pulled into the Grand Canyon at 10 pm, just as the sun was setting. We were doing this crazy 17 day road trip that included Disneyland and Texas and a family reunion in Oklahoma. Why not include the Grand Canyon? We all got out of the car and took a look. Commented on how beautiful it was then decided we would come back in the morning for a better look and pictures. We still needed to find a hotel for the night. 2 hours later and hundred kilometers away we found that hotel. We never did turn around to get the better look or the pictures; it was too far to back track.



Pulling out of the HooDoo's felt a lot like the Grand Canyon. I can't help but wonder why we are in such a hurry sometimes. Isn't one of the reasons for taking a road trip to stop and see the scenery? But when you are trying to get to a certain place or meet up with certain people the scenery often gets compromised. Right there and then I decided that when we go on holiday's this summer we are stopping a little more often and taking a little more time to enjoy what we can.



When we come up out of the valley this is what we see. Flat land. Flatter than Saskatchewan. Drier than dry. And I say to Karl "Wow this is flat. I think it's flatter than Saskatchewan. Do you like this landscape. Do you think we are camping in a farmer's field?" To which Karl says "I don't mind it. This is what I grew up on." NO. No, this is not was he grew up on. There are trees and rolling hills where he grew up. I don't see any trees or rolling hills. In fact, I don't see anything.

I have many pictures to go with this one, because I already know that I'm going to be blogging, because I already know that we are probably camping in a farmer's field and that there might, fingers crossed, be some planted trees in the campground and that this is an adventure. All week long I have been working really hard to keep my attitude in check and while this may read critical it's really not. In my mind at this moment in time I am thinking realistic thoughts with a postive "it's an adventure" spin on it.

But I am also thinking that I grew up camping in the forest and when I think of camping I always picture trees. A lot of trees. We drove to the Yukon almost every summer as kids. The road to the Yukon provides a great view of trees. I've heard some people find forests crowded almost sufficating and at this moment in my thoughts I come to the conclusion that this may infact be the case with my husbands family; I don't remember ever camping in the forest with them; well except Karl who likes to drive forever to the OLD MAN which I can wait to comment on another day.


We turn the corner and there is the sign. Did I mention this recommended campground is on a Golf Course? I still don't see anything. I mean I don't see ANYTHING. Did we really drive for 3.5 hours for a flat farmer's field?

And there it is. We come over a little hill and see the campground and I laugh. I laugh because I knew it. An RV park in a farmer's field.






No comments: