Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hold the Sugar

A little over a month ago I got diagnosed with pre-diabetes. What does this mean? I means I don't have Diabetes but my body isn't digesting sugar as well as it should and if I'm not careful I will have diabetes. I know lots of you are thinking "well get off your fat butt" The media has really emphasised the growing cases of diabetes in our culture and connected it solely to the growing waist bands but there are a few more things that contribute to the disease.

Here are some of the risk factors for diabetes. If you have 3 or more you should be concerned.

1. Diabetes is genetic. You need the gene to get the disease. There are people out there that can sit on their butt and eat junk food all day long and never get diabetes. If you have a parent, sibling or even an aunt or uncle who has diabetes you may also carry the gene. In my case I have uncles on both sides of my family with the disease and with my pre-diagnosis my brothers and children can now check this one off as a risk factor.

2. Being overweight is a risk. This is one of my risk factors however my admiting this on line is by no means an invitation for you to comment on it, become my diet police or sign me up for the biggest loser (which by the way I don't weigh enough to get on anyways). Until you have walked in my shoes for a day or even a week you have no right to comment. You have no idea what I have done or not done to get my weight under control and I would appreciate it if you would hold judgement and especially your comments.

3. Having Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is also another factor. I also have this. One of the side effects to this syndrome is difficulty to lose weight.

4. Gestational diabetes. I had two cases of untreated gestational diabetes. All of the symptoms were present but I didn't have the glaring blood work that would put me into treatment. Hence untreated. Women with gestational diabetes often get diabetes and often get it 10 years earlier than most people do. I believe this is why I am talking about diabetes at 34 instead of 44.

Those are my risk factors but here are some more (this list is not exhaustive):
5. Giving birth to babies over 9 lbs.
6. Being Aboriginal, Hispanic, Asian or African decent
7. Being inactive
8. Having high cholesteral and/or blood pressure

Here are some of the symptoms to watch for:
1. always feeling thirsty
2. always urinating
3. often feeling tired
4. have blurry vision
5. lose weight without trying
6. have cuts that take a long time to heal

So, what does this mean for me? If I want to continue to live my life drug free and not have to poke my finger 5 times a day than some things are changing. Here is a list of foods I am limiting (again I am monitoring my own diet so if you see me eating it keep in mind the word limiting however don't expect me to eat it if you put it out) white sugar, brown sugar, icing sugar, jam, jelly, marmalade, molasses, syrups, honey, regular soft drinks, fruit drinks, punches, juices, iced tea, syrup, candy, choclate, marshmallows, fried foods, fatty meats, sauces and gravies, regular fruit flavored yogurt, baked goods like pies, cakes, donuts and muffins.

My plate is half vegetables and contains at least two different kinds of vegetables for every lunch and supper. Potatoes and corn do not count as vegetables; they are a starch. I only eat one serving of fruit per meal. Every day I have a least one dark green and one orange vegetable. I am working towards being completely whole wheat and only have a max. of a cup and a half of starch per meal. I try to have a least 3 food groups at every meal and eat every 4-6 hours. I do not skip meals or put them off for large periods of time without a snack to keep my sugars up. (ie. Christmas dinner at 3 pm)

I am exercising a lot. Exercise lowers your blood sugar. The trick is to not let your sugars get too high and also not let them get too low. It's a balancing act. If you would like to invite me over, please do. If you are unsure or uncomfortable, I am don't mind bringing my own vegetables or drinks; as long as your not insulted by it.

So I am still learning. I still have some things to sort out, some weight to lose, more doctors to see, and a few more classes to go to. I might keep your posted or I might not. Some people like to keep their health privite. I tend to lean that way but I felt like some of this needed to be said.

1 comment:

Bonnie Way aka the Koala Mom said...

We've talked to you about this, but seeing the list sure makes it look tough. I sort of went through it with my brother not being able to eat a bunch of stuff (such as sugar), but it takes a while for that to become "normal." Good luck!