Monday, July 06, 2009

It was an Adventure Part II

I love tenting. I love tenting because I love waking up to fresh air all around me. I don't like RVing because they are too hot at night and I hate cooking in them and the floor is hard to keep clean in them. After packing all the stuff up I must admit the number one reason I might concede to RVing is that it is easier to pack all the stuff but I would still prefer the tent.



We arrive at the campground, say hi to everyone and then proceed to set up our tent. I love our tent. I'm very proud of our tent. It weighs 5.5 lbs, polls included. Not only is it light but it is very easy to set up. We bought it for backcountry and it is rated for three seasons. I love our tent. We have everything set up in minutes and start getting the kids ready for bed. Tesla is sleeping in the trailer with Grandma and Anna is sleeping in the tent with us. She is really excited to use a sleeping bag, until she realizes we mean for her to sleep. Rule number one. When someone is trying to put a crying overtired child to bed do not come over to the tent and wait for a quiet moment to ask if you need any help. Anna cried and cried. She was so overtired and in a different place and we tried everything. I would just get her quieted down and a truck who roar through the campground or a friendly would come over to help and she would start up all over again. We lost track of time but we figure it was 3 hours of crying. She finally went to sleep.



Saturday morning was overcast and cold. Grandma had her heart set on taking our kids to the beach. That was the whole reason we came this far. So no matter how cold or windy it was we were going. Admittedly the girls enjoyed the sand and had a good time. We had enough clothing for them (because I packed prepared) to be able to enjoy themselves. We had a snacky lunch on the beach and I got some great pictures of the girls playing. Definitely a highlight for me even if the wind was a bit much.



We had supper, showers and got the girls ready for bed. Anna, bless her heart went right to sleep. A late night, early morning, no nap and off to bed we go. Probably the best thing that ever happened. It started to rain at 9 pm. The wind was still blowing. The wind was strong enough to make the tent concave on one side. We decided to go to bed incase Anna woke up scared in the storm.



The storm was really bad. The tent was almost sideways. My nose almost touched the roof. One of the fly pegs let go and we decided to move the truck infront of the tent to block the wind. The people in the other tent decided to sleep in a trailer since their tent had already blown down the road. We got pressured to move to a trailer too but declined. Anna was sleeping through all of this. Our tent was dry. The truck was doing a good job at blocking the wind. If we were wet it might have been another story but we weren't going to risk moving Anna and having a repeat of the night before. What do they say: Never wake a sleeping baby. Besides our sleeping bags would get all wet in the move. Did I mention I love our tent?



Karl said the next morning he didn't want to move because he didn't want to sleep in a trailer with 6 people. He has been telling me for months now that he doesn't like people. I think he really means he doesn't like crowds.



We did need to dry out the fly but other than that we were dry. I can't say the same for our farmer's field campground. It was mud. The grass hadn't really come in between the gravel stalls. Did I mention this campground didn't have picnic tables?



So we dried off our tent fly, packed up our stuff, had some breakfast, had the truck boosted and we were off. Karl had decided to listen to the radio with the truck doors open while we packed up. Once we went camping and the people beside us played Polka music from sun up to sun down. We weren't that bad. It was CBC and we turned it on just before 8 and the truck battery died before we left at 930. Definitely not that bad. And we were off on an other adventure... to the Calgary Stampede for a quick Doodlebop concert. They were only playing one day otherwise this adventure would have taken us home.

1 comment:

Bonnie Way aka the Koala Mom said...

Finally, someone else who also prefers a tent to RVing. :) Hopefully your trip to Tofino goes better. Sunshine freaked out on us the first night in the tent. She screamed for ten minutes, then cuddled for about twenty before falling asleep--but slept fine after that, thankfully. :)