Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Please, want to!

We were driving through Olds the other day and Anna suddenly said "McDonald's. Chicken. Please, want to." While I am slightly embarrassed that my two year old is so familar with McDonald's my heart is rejoicing at hearing her put so many words together with such clear intentions.

When Anna was a year old I took her for her annual check up at the doctors. These visits always start with some measuring of weight, height and head circumference. Then the doctor comes in and listens to her heart and lungs. She looks in her ears and mouth; checks her hips and organs. Finally, the doctor asks a series of developmental questions. It was on this first year visit that the alarms started.

"Does she respond to her name? Does she come when you call her from another room? Can she follow a simple direction?" No, No and NO! No Anna didn't do any of these things. She didn't cry at sudden loud noises. She never responded to her name and especially didn't come when you called her from a different room. Once in a while she would dance to loud music but really. Sleeping through loud noises? This is the first time that concern was raised about one of our girls. We left with a referral to have her hearing tested.
As I drove home I start picturing my sweet little girl with outragously big hearing aids. I could see her in school trying to follow along. The teacher has a headset and microphone attached that feed directly into her hearing aids. The really large ones that the kids make fun of. And in my mind my sweet little girls is sad and lonely and confused about being different. And my heart is breaking just thinking about it; wanting to protect her. At the same time I am rallying the troops in my head to be as supportive as we can.
The waiting is super hard. Poor Anna. We called her name and called her name and called her name... trying to get her to respond. I searched the internet looking for reasons kids don't respond to their name. The internet can be so bad at times... Autism. Autism. I thought I was going to be sick. And there were check lists for that to. Which I went through and got mixed messages. I watched videos of autistic kids at 1 years old and listened to the commentary about what to look for. And finally we got the appointment.
She passed with flying colours! She could hear! They were sure. Absolutely sure. But...
She didn't respond to her name for the audiologist, who got a little bit pale after the third attempt. Then said "Well, if she doesn't start responding to her name by 18 months you should get her checked for cognitive delays." Which means autism.

So a year later when Anna says "please want to" (even for McDonalds) or tells us knock knock jokes (that truly aren't funny) or draws happy faces (that are sideways) and pulls off her diapers (when they are full), I am mostly just pleased that she is getting all of this and getting it so well.




4 comments:

Heather said...

Yay Anna! I like the McNuggets too. :)
Anna is perfect Jen. She's impossible not to fall in love with. And with a smile like her's, there is not much she'll ask for in life that she will not get.
She's just gonna do it her way.
I've been amazed at the knock knock joke. That showed a lot of comprehension of conversation, and social awareness. She knew she could make you laugh.
Yay Anna!

Heather said...

You forgot to mention...
Did she get her chicken???

Jen said...

No, she didn't get the chicken. We said NO. Which resulted in a more enthusiasic "Please, want to" complete with leg kicking to drive home the point.

Bonnie Way aka the Koala Mom said...

At a year, she was supposed to respond to her name, come when called, and follow a simple direction? That seems early. Sunshine's only just starting to do all that... sometimes. :) I'm not sure she's caught on yet that her name belongs to her, but she can follow directions like "Go get your shoes" (if she can find them). But she's sixteen months now, and that's a fairly recent development. Anyways, glad that Anna's fine too! :)