Thursday, July 17, 2008

RUDE

A few months ago my daughter and I were leaving the public library and she noticed a teenager with a very large affro sitting by the door.

"Mommy, he has big hair!!!"

A couple of months ago we were in Ikea and she noticed a wheelchair and asked what it was. The elderly couple stopped shopping to show her how it worked and explain what it was for. They were very gracious with their time and explanation.

My oldest daughter is old enough to notice differences and sometimes comments. These comments are innocent observations that sometimes carry some awkwardness.

Recently I made a comment that was tackless and she repeated it. I was told that I was teaching my daughter to be rude. I took great offense to the accusation so lets talk about rude.

Yes, I was rude in front of my daughter. I told a family member they needed a shower. I was tackless by saying it in front of other family members including my daughter. I regret saying it in front of everyone and I would hesitate to repeat the scenario. However, this person needed a shower and was getting on a plane shortly.

What is rude?

Is it more rude to tell someone they need a shower or knowing refuse to shower leaving the lingering BO smell behind you for everyone to enjoy?

Is it more rude to lay down in the guest room for a nap during the day or fail to stay awake in the living room and end up sleeping on the couch snoring all day?

Is it more rude to sleep in the living room snoring loudly for hours on end or watch TV beside someone who is trying to sleep?

I honestly don't know if this person planned to shower that morning or not. Eventually they did and I don't know if I influenced that choice or not. I do know I should have kept my mouth shut or at least exercised more tack.

I'm sure this individuals perception of the weekend is different that mine. From my point of view it was rude to consider flying on a plane with lingering BO. It was rude to sleep on the couch and chair for hours on end in a common room snoring so loudly that people could not hear the conversation or TV. It was rude to tell me how to parent my child. From their point of view, it was rude of me to comment on their hygiene, especially in front of others. It was rude of me to allow my children to listen to music while they were trying to sleep and it was rude of me to turn the TV up so I could hear it over the snoring.

So what is rude? Is there a degree of rudeness and who gets to decide?

No comments: